Fri. Nov 13th, 2020
Letter: Religion and the Supreme Court

If Amy Coney Barrett is confirmed to the U.S. Supreme Court, she will become the sixth Catholic justice (67% of total), along with two Jewish justices (22% of total) and one Episcopalian. This is not representative of America. According to Wikipedia, Catholics make up 20% of the U.S. population and Jews make up 2%. What about Baptists and Lutherans? Why don’t we have any Protestants on the U.S. Supreme Court? Protestants make up 43% of the U.S. population. I’m positive some of them have made it through law school.

What about those who have no religious preference and make up 26% of the population, or Mormons, Buddhists, Hindus, etc., which make up 10%? Combined, these two groups equal 36% of the US population, yet they are not represented at all on the Court.

A rallying cry during the American Revolution was “No taxation without representation.” Similarly, the U.S. Supreme Court should not be making decisions that affect all Americans with a Court that does not represent the diversity of America. Doing so delegitimizes the institution and lessens popular support for and belief in the rule of law. Please call your senator – demand that this U.S. Supreme Court opening be filled with a qualified individual from a different or no religious background.

Julie Olsen

Have something on your mind? Send to letters@adn.com or click here to submit via any web browser. Letters under 200 words have the best chance of being published. Writers should disclose any personal or professional connections with the subjects of their letters. Letters are edited for accuracy, clarity and length.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Translate »

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.  Learn more